Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup Strategy

2003-02-26 12:21:11
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup Strategy
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Ralph Bearpark <yahoogroups AT spampot DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:15:15 -0500 (EST)
Linebreaks, man, use some line breaks...

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 at 4:10am, Ralph Bearpark wrote

> However, when I look an amoverview I see that several disks are getting
> a full backup EVERY OTHER DAY!  What's the idea of this?  I'll grant
> it's within the letter of the manual, but it's hardly space-efficient is
> it?

The goal of amanda is to equalize the amount of data backed up each night
while staying within the bounds set by dumpcycle, runspercycle, and
tapecycle.  If this means it promotes dumps, it does it.

> Is there any way I can force amanda to only do the full backup at most
> n times during the dumpcycle?

Not that I know of, but in the 2.4.4 ReleaseNotes it says that it tries to
reduce the number of level 0s per host each night.

> Also, I see that other disks are getting repeated level 1 incrementals.
> I would be happier if it rather did level 1 then 2 then 3 etc. and no
> backup if no files had changed.  Can I specify this behaviour somehow?

You can play with bumpsize and bumpmult, but the extra hassle restoring
really isn't worth it, IMO.

> I know it will make a full restore a little messier but I simply don't
> have unlimited disk space for amanda to use.

If you want amanda to use less disk space, crank down your 'tapelength'.
Since you're using diskless backup, you can define whatever size "tapes"
you want.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering