Amanda-Users

[Fwd: Re: Backup and recovery CD]

2003-02-25 18:38:44
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Backup and recovery CD]
From: Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:09:50 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Backup and recovery CD
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:08:05 -0600
From: Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>
To: "Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer AT iu13 DOT org>

Hi Kevin,
I just recently developed a system to do a "bare-metal" recovery. For my linux servers I've been using "zipslack" a 100MB distribution of slackware linux. I have it boot from a floppy and mount a parallel port zip drive a "/". You can add any slackware package to it (ie dump, amrestore, etc...). I like it better than a CD because I can put info about the disk partitions of each of my servers right on the restore media. I don't have to have and amanda client on the disk. I ssh to the backup servers to extract the dump image and pipe it to the local resort program.
   I've setup web-cluster using this as well as doing a restore.
   check it out at http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/
good luck,
chrisj

Kevin M. Myer wrote:

A number of commercial backup vendors ship bootable CDs with a copy of their
backup application installed.  You can use these CDs to restore a system that
was totally toasted, due to massive disk failure, being hacked, etc.  I'm
wondering if anyone has ever developed something similar for AMANDA.  I'm
envisioning something like the Red Hat installer, which boots up, lets you drop
into a limited shell and lets you partition disks.  The AMANDA bootable CD would
boot up, let you format disks and give you a limited shell, and then let you run
amrestore by connecting to the tape drive (or whatever archival media you are
using) of your remote backup server.

Just curious if anyone has ever gone down this road and if so, how far did you
get?

Thanks,
Kevin