Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup Strategy

2003-02-26 16:19:07
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup Strategy
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Ralph Bearpark <yahoogroups AT spampot DOT com>, jlb17 AT duke DOT edu
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:28:50 -0500
On Wed February 26 2003 11:16, Ralph Bearpark wrote:
>> Yep.  Amanda gets estimates for all the DLEs at multiple
>> incremental levels, and figures out the "best" thing to do
>> within the tapelength it has.
>
>Even to the extent of not doing any sort of backup at all on some
> or many of the DLEs?  If so, how on earth does it decide which?

Amanda shouldn't have to deal with that, so the normal "startup"
procedure is to only give amanda enough acive DLE's to fill a tape
each night until all have been done, thereby giving amanda some
help on the initial "balance" settings.  But, if the tapetype is
properly set, I don't *think* amanda will take a chance on hitting
EOT as it will delay enough to assure it won't hit EOT.  I've seen
that in my email from amanda a time or 2.

>(If this is all documented somewhere, please tell me where and
> I'll stop asking my stupid questions! :-))

The only really stupid question is the one not asked. ;-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M