Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with compression?

2003-02-21 19:55:09
Subject: Re: Problem with compression?
From: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:46:19 -0800
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:58:16PM -0800, Jay Lessert wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:26:22PM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> > > Since we're seeing 18 fulls and 1 daily, it smells like you're dumping
> > > a whole bunch of new DLE's on amanda at the same time?  If so, you'll
> > > probably be OK tonight, just don't put any more new DLE's in.
> >
> > "DLE"?
>
> "disklist entry".
>
> > I assume you mean filesystems to be backed up.
>
> No, amanda backs up DLE's, each of which may or may not comprise an
> entire file system.

OK, got it.

> > No, I haven't added any
> > recently.
>
> Then you'll want to make sure you understand why Amanda decided to
> do 17 fulls and 2 incrementals on a particular day; this would be
> a rather un-Amandalike thing to do on a day when it knows it's
> going to be chewing up 1/2 the tape on a single DLE, unless
> there are extraordinary circumstances.  Number of runs/dumpcycle
> too short, maybe?  I don't know.

I did amlabel several more tapes yesterday.  I've had eight tapes up
until now.  amanda runs five times per week, one tape per run.  I just
now changed runspercycle and tapecycle... I forgot about them yesterday.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/