Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with compression?

2003-02-24 15:48:57
Subject: Re: Problem with compression?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:16:39 -0500
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 10:03:53AM -0800, John Oliver wrote:

> Hopefully, this issue will be resolved in a couple of weeks when I get a
> DLT7000 library in here.  But I would like to understand the basic issue
> here... I don't want to be limited to 35GB with a unit that should be
> able to approach 70.

OK, the basics are that a tape only holds enough "bits" and "bytes" as
its native capacity.  You keep thinking of USER DATA.  After compression
there are fewer bytes, but amanda has to measure what it puts on tape.
And that can be NO MORE THAN 20 GB for your tape.  Any number you see
higher than that is post-compression and if amanda is compressing,
which your earlier reports showed it was, then amanda is measuring,
and reporting, what is acutally being put on tape.  You reports will
also show "orig" size, but the taper part doesn't care about that,
it only knows what it was asked to put on tape -- ie post-compression.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)