Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with compression?

2003-02-21 19:54:50
Subject: Re: Problem with compression?
From: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:43:13 -0800
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:42:31PM -0800, Jay Lessert wrote:
> [posted and Cc'ed]
>
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:13:26PM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> > > see "GENERATING SCHEDULE" in logdir/amdump.1.
> >
> > DUMP backup fffffeff9f00 /dev/hda1 20030221 0 1 2003:2:19:10:38:53 10995392
> > 6305
>
> So 10.9GB on a level 1, right?  And amanda apparently thought that
> would *barely* fit, but it didn't.  Make sense?

No, not really... :-)  My tapes are 20GB without compression.  I'm
telling amanda to use compression.  It looks like it's saying it is.
Therefore, I should be able to get *at least* 20GB on my tapes.  It
seems to be crapping out right about 20GB.

> > > Confirm you've got 'record yes', and that it worked.
> >
> > I'm not following.  "Record yes"?  Is that an option somewhere?
>
> Go to your amanda config directory.  Edit amanda.conf.  Search for the
> dumptype entry this DLE uses.  Confirm that this dumptype entry says
> 'record yes' somewhere within it.  Depending on if this dumptype
> declares program "DUMP" or "GNUTAR", look at /etc/dumpdates or
> /etc/amandates on host backup, confirm the entries for /dev/hda1 are
> what you expect.

None of them did.  amanda.conf says "record yes" is the default, but I
went ahead and put that in the global dumptype anyway.

> > > Confirm your dumptype compress is set where you expect for
> > > backup:/dev/hda1.
> >
> > Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I see:
> >
> > [root@backup DailySet1]# grep backup /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist
> > backup /dev/hda1 comp-root-tar
> >
> > Is that what you mean?
>
> Ummm, it's the first step on the path of getting to what I mean.
>
> "comp-root-tar" is just a dumptype entry in your amanda.conf, so you
> need to understand what every parameter in that dumptype entry means.

I see:

define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}

That tells me that it'll use tar, and compress on the client.  So I
still don't know what you mean by "dumptype compress is set where you
expect for" it... I don't see any other options that seem relevant to
compression.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/