Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with compression?

2003-02-21 21:23:40
Subject: Re: Problem with compression?
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:06:08 -0800
[Posted and Cc'ed]

My last posting on this thread, we're in tapeout crunch right now...

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 03:43:13PM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> No, not really... :-)  My tapes are 20GB without compression.  I'm
> telling amanda to use compression.  It looks like it's saying it is.

And it is, in fact.

> Therefore, I should be able to get *at least* 20GB on my tapes.

You will get exactly 20GB on the tape, after Amanda compression.

In the run in question, for 18 of 19 DLE's,  you got 19.2GB before compression,
9.7GB after compression.

> Output Size (meg)        9737.1     9611.4      125.7
> Original Size (meg)     19162.4    19028.8      133.6

Then it tried to put backup:/dev/hda1 on the tape, 20GB before compression,
and failed at exactly 20GB total after compression.

> It
> seems to be crapping out right about 20GB.

Post-compression, yes.  It's doing exactly what it's supposed to, you
just need to sit down and think about it for awhile, until you grok the
fullness.  You/amanda tried to put about 40GB pre-compression on the
tape, and it almost (but not quite) fit.

> I see:
>
> define dumptype comp-root-tar {
>     root-tar
>     comment "Root partitions with compression"
>     compress client fast
> }
>
> That tells me that it'll use tar,

Nope, tells you you're calling another dumptype, "root-tar".  You're
assuming that's calling program GNUTAR.  Chances are your assumption
is correct, but you don't know unless you look.

> and compress on the client.

Correct.

So at this point your only problem is figuring out why your level1 on a
21GB DLE is giving out 20GB of pre-compressed output.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461