Amanda-Users

Re: downgrading

2003-02-19 19:08:13
Subject: Re: downgrading
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: rwong AT mrs.mni.mcgill DOT ca
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:44:06 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 at 2:17pm, rwong AT mrs.mni.mcgill DOT ca wrote

> I've attached a run using the unix tools.  There were messages in the log
> which I've also attached.
>
> Another symptom I've noticed is that when amanda uses multiple tapes.  The
> first tape will not be accessible by the amanda tools but mt/dd can read
> the fileheaders and read the backups.  But the tapes following the first
> are never readable by amanda nor mt/dd.

This is from the amreport email you sent:

  taper: tape tape-08 kb 31302464 fm 63 writing file: No space left on device
  taper: retrying host1:/disk1/bs/.donnotrm01.0 on new tape: [writing file: No
space left on device]
  driver: dumper0 pid 10771 is messed up, ignoring it.

That last line is, I believe, a bug that remained through 2.4.3 final.  It
*could* lead to the second tape not being readable, but I'm not so sure
about that.

Can you try 2.4.4b1?  If it makes you feel better, I'm using it in
production on my larger config (1.5TB worth of (used) RAID space backed up
to a Overland AIT3 changer) with good results (including working
amrecover).

Also, can you try writing multiple tarfiles to a tape, ejecting the tape,
then reading back some of them?  The errors in the system logs are
indicating some sort of issue with reading.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering