Amanda-Users

Re: question

2003-02-06 14:06:23
Subject: Re: question
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:27:37 -0600
--On Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:48:44 -0500 David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com
wrote:

My tape server only has a tape driver with a single slot.
We have to manually change tapes when do backup.
So far, amanda doesn't ask user to change tape when a tape is full.
The 'amdump' process just exits and write error message to log.
Is this a configuration issue?
What should I do?

Option 1:
Make 'runtapes' greater than 1 in your config.
Configure a changer (use 'chg-manual' to manually change tapes).
Note: You have to be there to change the tape, the dumps stop until
you do.

Option 2:
Configure a large holdingdisk.
Set 'reserve' to a low number (or 0)
Backups that don't fit on your tape will keep going to the holdingdisk,
then you run amflush to write them out to tape (if that tape fills,
you can keep running amflush until it all ends up on a tape).

Frank
--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com