Amanda-Users

Re: Upgraded tape server, now lot's of "broken pipes"

2003-02-04 14:08:57
Subject: Re: Upgraded tape server, now lot's of "broken pipes"
From: Chris Marble <cmarble AT odin.ac.hmc DOT edu>
To: stanb AT awod DOT com (stan)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:25:55 -0800 (PST)
stan wrote:

> I'm in the process of upgrading my Amanda machine from an older HP-UX
> machine to a new faster FreebSD machine. Lot's of machines that used to
> back up fine ae now failing with the following:
>
> sendbackup: spawning "/usr/sbin/dump" in pipeline
> sendbackup: argument list: "dump" "0usf" "1048576" "-" "/dev/rdsk/cEd4s0"
> index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
> error [/usr/sbin/dump returned 3]

I have been getting the same problem:
  Odin       /home lev 0 FAILED [compress got signal 24, /sbin/dump returned 3]

I investigated it for a long time and the best guess was that I was exceeding
some CPU time limit.  When the system got less busy at 2am the problem would
go away.  It's back again so I'm switching to gnu tar and splitting the disklist
for this one 35Gb of data into 2 seperate ones.
Check your process limits and see if you find anything.
--
  Chris_Marble AT hmc DOT edu - HMC UNIX Systems Manager