Amanda-Users

RE: Running AMANDA over the Internet

2003-02-05 13:08:01
Subject: RE: Running AMANDA over the Internet
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: "'marc.bigler AT day DOT com'" <marc.bigler AT day DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:22:13 -0500
Actually, an SSH tunnel is one of the least easy VPNs for this because of
the many different ports AMANDA can use. Unless you have limitations on what
you can install on the boxes, a full VPN (like IPSec, as mentioned in
another post) is probably your best bet. The VPN model of point-to-point
connections suits well because AMANDA's traffic is also shaped like that,
where one of the points is always the server, and the other is a client.

If you're really more comfortable with SSH, you could schedule a tar on each
client, and follow it with an scp to send the data to the backup server,
where it can be written to tape. This would add an extra step to any
restore, but doesn't require a VPN.