Amanda-Users

RE: Running AMANDA over the Internet

2003-02-05 10:50:17
Subject: RE: Running AMANDA over the Internet
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: "'marc.bigler AT day DOT com'" <marc.bigler AT day DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:20:58 -0500
Amanda is a backup manager, not a security manager. There are no steps taken
to ensure the security of the backups. Several solutions are available,
though:

- Use the Kerberos support built in to Amanda. I've never played with this.

- Use tar with a wrapper script on the client that encrypts the backup
before sending it. You might be able to find samples of this in the list
archives.

- Use an encrypted VPN (CIPE, FreeSWAN, SSHTunnel) between servers. This is
the method I used, because I use the same tunnel for monitoring and file
transfers.

Search the list, think about what method fits your needs. Feel free to ask
more questions. Good Luck.