Amanda-Users

Re: Running AMANDA over the Internet

2003-02-05 11:50:04
Subject: Re: Running AMANDA over the Internet
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:19:47 -0500
On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 03:49:32PM +0100, marc.bigler AT day DOT com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let's take the scenario where I have got an AMANDA server located at one
> central site and have a few other servers located at various places around
> the globe which of course all need to be backed up by the centraon site's
> AMANDA server. My question is now more related about security and how
> secure it is to run backups over the internet. Is AMANA secure by default
> to run over the internet or are there any optional compiling options or
> features which I should use to make the clients itself and the dump secure

Lets see, if you speak on a cell phone or transmit on the internet,
consider it public knowledge :)   Encryption, at a minimum, seems appropriate.

About a year ago, "Andrew Hall" <ahall AT secureworks DOT net>, was working on a
document describing his experience in encrypting the data stream with
gnu's gpg.  I don't recall the final status of this work.

Maybe Andrew is still reading the list and can comment,
or you might contact him.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)