Amanda-Users

Re: Running AMANDA over the Internet

2003-02-05 11:41:13
Subject: Re: Running AMANDA over the Internet
From: "Martin.Hepworth" <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:54:38 +0000 (GMT)
Marc

This is what VPN's are for.

Amanda has little concept of security and relies on DNS lookups/usernames
for any sort of authentication. You can augment this with
tcp-wrapper/xinet type security, but the traffic will
still travel over the public internet in the clear (or at best
compressed!).

Beside the VPN I'd make sure there is somesort of bandwith guarantee
service between the sites - backups can be large things.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 marc.bigler AT day DOT com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Let's take the scenario where I have got an AMANDA server located at one
> central site and have a few other servers located at various places around
> the globe which of course all need to be backed up by the centraon site's
> AMANDA server. My question is now more related about security and how
> secure it is to run backups over the internet. Is AMANA secure by default
> to run over the internet or are there any optional compiling options or
> features which I should use to make the clients itself and the dump secure
> ?
>
> Many thanks for your opinion
>
> Regards

the system manager.