Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi linu

2002-12-17 21:00:15
Subject: Re: chg-scsi linu
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Axel Haenssen <axel AT princeton DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:16:43 -0500
On Tuesday 17 December 2002 10:57, Axel Haenssen wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>I am having a hard time configuring my chg-scsi.conf file. I am
> running amanda-2.4.2-2-7 on Redhat 7.3 with an ADIC FastStor
> DLT7000 connected to an adaptec raid card 2100S.
>How do I find out with /dev/sgX settings to use in the
> chg-scsi.conf file??
>Thanks
>Axel

Look in /var/log/dmesg to see what the kernel called it when it
found it (if it did, it may not have) during the initial scan.

You may have run into a RedHat gotcha if you are using the stock
kernel.  The stock kernel does NOT "scan all luns", thereby missing
a robot device thats on the same bus address, but at lun=1 (or
higher) as opposed to the tape drive itself which normally defaults
to lun=0.

LUN is Logical Unit Number.

If thats the case, you'll have to build a kernel that does this.
Its a ready to check option under the scsi menu in a "make
xconfig".  You shouldn't have to do anything else, although I
brought my scsi card driver into the kernel instead of as a module.

If the robot is found, you should see something like this in your
dmesg file:
-------------------------
[snip top of file]
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra: IO 0xD000-0xD00F, IRQ 0xB
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4,
s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape -->st0<-- at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, -->lun 0<--
Attached scsi generic -->sg1<-- at scsi0, channel 0,
 id 6, -->lun 1<--,  type 8
the --> and <-- arrows are of course my editorial inserts

I hope this has been helpfull.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M