nv-l

Re: MLM

1999-10-25 22:03:13
Subject: Re: MLM
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:03:13 -0400
What's the matter, Frank, don't you believe in magic? Just kidding... In
addition to
Jane's excellent response, you might  want to see the evidence for yourself
by
checking netmon.trace after issuing 'netmon -a 51' or 'netmon -a 102';
Also, on
the MLM box itself, take a look in the log file (I think it is under
/var/adm/smv2/log)
where you will see each the logging of the status change traps that are
sent to
netview. Those same traps are configured to be "don't log or display" on
the Netview
box, but you  can change that so you can see them. Then you will see two
events in the
events display for every status change - the one from the MLM, and the
simulated one
that makes it look like the ones netmon generates.

It may take a couple of polling cycles for the rearrangement to be
complete,
but I have seen it for myself

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Greetings.  I have posted several questions regarding issues around MLM
discovery, status polling and monitoring thresholds.  I am still unclear if
by moving devices into the MLM collection, that MLM is now truly
responsible for the device from a monitoring perspective.

Best Regards,

Frank W. Hansen
Tivoli Enterprise Certified Consultant
919 467 9183