nv-l

Re: MLM

1999-10-26 19:18:20
Subject: Re: MLM
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT SKILLS-1ST.CO DOT UK>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:18:20 +0100
"Frank W. Hansen" wrote:

Can you assign a different MLM to take over while the crashed MLM is down or
will netmon not allow this?  What I'd like to do, is if an MLM dies, I want to
assign a new MLM to take over status polling.
                                       ---------------------------
I've not been down this route, but if you look at the NetView Admin Ref under
the netmon command, there is quite a large section on the implementation details
with regard to MLM.  It says that if you have 2 MLMs that are checking the
status of a node and an MLM dies then status checking will be redistributed to
the other MLM(s) in that segment - not totally clear if this still works if you
have "hand-crafted" your mlmDomain_<hostname> collection but I guess it might.

Anyone else with thoughts?

I also tack on an earlier append on this subject that I saved but haven't yet
done anything with....

Cheers, Jane
"Joel A. Gerber" wrote:

> I have never tried to have one MLM backup another MLM, and do not believe
> that there is any automated capability in NetView/MLM to do such a thing.
> NetView automatically takes over status polling of the IP addresses being
> polled by an MLM if it detects that an MLM is down.  It automatically gives
> it back to the MLM, too, when it detects that the MLM is back up.  I do not
> believe that there is any similar capability for data collection or other
> MLM functions.  You could probably automate something off of the "MLM Down"
> and "MLM Up" traps that would update the appropriate mlmDomain collections
> (smartsets).  Once the collection was updated, NetView should automatically
> distribute all of the MLM functions (status polling, data collection, etc.)
> to the new MLM, but there would likely be some delay, i.e. it's not
> instantaneous.
>
> Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA

Actually, the MLM can be passed between Netview Managers in a backup
relationship.    You'd have to make sure that it handled all the
collections and APM stuff.

Also, you could dynamically reconfigure the mlmDomain collections with a
ruleset that caught the Node Down event for the MLM.  You could run the
ruleset under ESE.Automation or the nvserverd adapter.
Chris Cowan

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565