nv-l

Re: MLM

1999-10-26 21:24:09
Subject: Re: MLM
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:24:09 -0400
I'm not positive about this, but I BELIEVE that this redistrubution
business
is a holdover from the days of System Monitor/6000. At that time it was
honestly expected that there would be multiple MLMs on a single subnet.
Hence the limitation of discovery to the local subnet. And those multiple
MLMs would be cabable of taking over from each other in that kind of an
environment.

It may just be left-over text, at this point. Or it may be that it would
still work
within a subnet, but not the way most people use it today, that is, with
one
MLM handling large numbers of networks. The Collection facility came
along quite some time after Systems Monitor and the MLM.

I'll bet if you open a question with Support ( clearly worded), they will
be
able to get an answer from Development for you.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

"Frank W. Hansen" wrote:

Can you assign a different MLM to take over while the crashed MLM is down
or
will netmon not allow this?  What I'd like to do, is if an MLM dies, I want
assign a new MLM to take over status polling.
                                       ---------------------------
I've not been down this route, but if you look at the NetView Admin Ref
under
the netmon command, there is quite a large section on the implementation
details
with regard to MLM.  It says that if you have 2 MLMs that are checking the
status of a node and an MLM dies then status checking will be redistributed
the other MLM(s) in that segment - not totally clear if this still works if
you
have "hand-crafted" your mlmDomain_<hostname> collection but I guess it
might.

Anyone else with thoughts?

I also tack on an earlier append on this subject that I saved but haven't
yet
done anything with....

Cheers, Jane
"Joel A. Gerber" wrote:

> I have never tried to have one MLM backup another MLM, and do not believe
> that there is any automated capability in NetView/MLM to do such a thing.
> NetView automatically takes over status polling of the IP addresses being
> polled by an MLM if it detects that an MLM is down.  It automatically
gives
> it back to the MLM, too, when it detects that the MLM is back up.  I do
not
> believe that there is any similar capability for data collection or other
> MLM functions.  You could probably automate something off of the "MLM
Down"
> and "MLM Up" traps that would update the appropriate mlmDomain
collections
> (smartsets).  Once the collection was updated, NetView should
automatically
> distribute all of the MLM functions (status polling, data collection,
etc.)
> to the new MLM, but there would likely be some delay, i.e. it's not
> instantaneous.
>
> Joel Gerber - I/T Networking Professional - USAA

Actually, the MLM can be passed between Netview Managers in a backup
relationship.    You'd have to make sure that it handled all the
collections and APM stuff.

Also, you could dynamically reconfigure the mlmDomain collections with a
ruleset that caught the Node Down event for the MLM.  You could run the
ruleset under ESE.Automation or the nvserverd adapter.
Chris Cowan

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565