Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo

2013-12-19 13:31:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo
From: David McMullin <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:31:24 -0500
Before we bought, we had the vendors replicate the throughput to prove the
system could handle the ingest and output. A lot of the sales numbers are one
way, not both at once. We have 16 LTO5 drives and I can drive all 16 while also
ingesting data. We use NB Storage Lifecycle Policy to automatically duplicate
to tape. The 1st copy to the DD990 has a 2 week expiration, the 2nd copy (to
tape) has the DR expiration, for longer retentions we actually make a third
copy.
Since the DD990 has deduplication, we are able to take the 100TB and divide it
into 600TB of tapes... That holds the two weeks easily. That 6X was trial and
error, we have a lot of data that is encrypted or voice recording that does not
dedupe, and others that gets great compression.

Using this method, the backups do not queue up, the duplications do. There is
no timeout to worry about, nor backup windows. We send everything everyday to
Iron Mountain, so everything backed up to DD goes to tape the same day. Nice to
have an 18 hour backup dupe to tape in 3 hours...

And there is NO multiplexing. And restores from the DD are at that same speed,
so we have had restores take less time than backups...

The ONLY issue is tape contention on tape restores for DR, where images are not
spaced on tapes optimally.
We have backup 6 wide, restores 6 wide, and sometimes all the images it wants
are on tapes already loaded.

We are solving that by working to get DD in our DR location so we are not
restoring from tape...