Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo

2013-12-18 16:02:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo
From: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "'Simon Weaver'" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:02:23 -0500
Hi Simon,

If there are multiple SAN media servers, have you looked into SSO and/or
unrestricted media sharing?
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-we-assign-medias-multiple-media-s
ervers

One other option I can see until there is a better solution is to try and
start spacing the backups out:
Group A: 9pm
Group B: 9:30pm
Group C: 10:00pm

You also have the option of limiting it on the master server the maximum
simultaneous jobs *per client* if you did that, there would be at least N
number (your choosing) of jobs running on a per-client basis.  Between
changing the schedule or changing the maximum simultaneous jobs per client,
I would try that first and then look into the options mentioned
earlier/after.

Would that be possible to alleviate some of the headache for the FULL/INCR?
I know for archive logs (re-do) you need to keep the drives available 24/7.

"But I believe because the policies are using its own SAN media server as a
storage unit, it's only backing up itself, therefore a tape is assigned to
that policy."
I would check the unrestricted media sharing/look at SSO and see if that
could possibly apply to your environment, I've not used those options
myself, but they be work taking a look at.

Justin.