Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo

2013-12-18 15:03:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAP backups / Online / Redo
From: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "'Simon Weaver'" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:03:42 -0500
Hi Simon,

Some comments:
1. How many jobs are too many? 500 concurrent jobs? 1000 concurrent jobs?
2000 concurrent jobs?  With a UNIX master, if properly spec'd out-- I've
seen it handle 1000-1500 jobs without a problem.
2. Have you considered moving the platform to Linux or adding additional
Windows media servers to help cope with the load?
3. Are all of the backups using the same volume pool?
4. "All LTO4 drives are maxed out" -- the drives themselves are full, (tape
loaded, ok), but did you also mean they are maxed out throughput-wise as
well?  Are you achieving 90MiB/s (if already compressed) data to each one?
If not, have you considered increasing the multiplexing?
5. If there are a bunch of single-stream host jobs, I'm assuming you are
*disallowing* multiple streams, otherwise that would seem to get out of
control quickly?

The background I have is with Oracle, not SAP though, so my comments revolve
around those types of backups.

Justin.