Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers

2007-01-05 22:57:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:57:52 -0600
On 1/5/2007 12:06 PM, Edson Noboru Yamada wrote:
> A important thing to consider is file system fragmentation and number
> and size of files, which may impactseverely on performance.

Absolutely.  Lots and lots of litle files with a standard policy will
*kill* you in performance

> In order to check this, try to create a single big file (2 GB, for
> example) and create a test policy to backup only that file. Under
> normal conditions, on a idle system/network, you should be able to
> get over 50 MB/s.

We see 60-70MB/sec regularly using FlashBackup on Windows while backup
over a GigE network to an LTO-3 drive (through a Decru encryption
appliance).  We set network buffer sizes to 132096.  On other clients
that have to walk the file system, we can see pretty dismal performance.

Try to backup from the client to the null device.  Instructions are on
the Veritas support site and in this list's archive.  That will tell you
how fast you're reading the file system using the NetBackup tools.  If
you can't read it off of disk fast enough, then NetBackup isn't going to
be doing much for you.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA