Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers

2007-01-05 09:19:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers
From: KrugerC2 at telkom.co.za (Clem Kruger (C))
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:19:58 +0200
Hi There,

There are a number of issues that may cause the Windows backup to slow
down.

1.      Make sure you do not have tracker.exe running
2.      Ensure that all networks a set to full duplex. Some NIC's
cannot be set to 1000 full duplex. Rather set these to 100 full in
that case (Nic's and Switch)
3.      Make sure that all servers are set not to scan for virus when
a file is opened on the server. ( no sense in this if the incoming
file was scanned)> Big cause of data backing up slowly.
4.      Make sure that you have the correct firmware on both the tapes
and library.
5.      Use iperf to test your network speed.
6.      Lower your logging

These are but a few items that may cause a backup to be slow. You can
find iperf @ http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Good luck.

Regards,

Clem Kruger

"Listen to what is said, not he who speaks" Arabian Proverb

Telkom SA Ltd

ITS Infrastructure Storage Management

: +27 (12) 680 3102

: +27 (12) 680 3299