Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers

2007-01-05 08:57:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers
From: ckstehman at pepco.com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:57:03 -0500
I have noticed that we usually get 10-15MB on our Solairs servers and
about 6-7MB on windows.  Our connections are
1G in all cases. Like you I don't know why.  (Windows is windows...?)
=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman at pepco.com

Bobby R Windle <bwindle at wlgore.com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
01/05/2007 08:27 AM

veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup speeds Windows servers

I'm curious to hear what kind of speeds (mbs/sec) others are getting
backing up windows servers.

Running Netbackup Enterprise 5.1 mp6 under Solaris10 on master/media
servers.

        a.        Using brocade 2g ports 48000 director.
        b.        IBM Ultrium LTO Gen2 drives
        c.        Sun branded Qlogic 2gb cards. single port feeding each
tape drive.
        d.        The storage on the windows servers is FC attached
Hitachi Tagmastore 9990.  (Very fast drive configuration.)
        e.         Servers are HP G5's also 64 bit. Some are 32 bit. Seems
32 bit servers are actually faster.

note:         Some of my other backups such as Solaris, Linix and Netware
can get as much as 20 mb/sec with this configuration.
        So why are the windows servers so slow? Any  one have some kind of
idea what may be a cause?  Or it is what it is!  Windows!

Bobby Windle ( Data backup & Recovery )
W.L. Gore & associates, Inc.
bwindle at wlgore.com
cell : (302) 588-7374 (preferred)
office: (302) 292-4026_______________________________________________
Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.