Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-20 19:13:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:13:29 -0600
Yes, if you intend to move data from Servers B-Z directly to physical
tape drives then that would define them as Media Servers.

SSO shares drive among Media servers within a Master Server domain.
Client backups are initiated via bpcd from the Media Server that has
been given task to do so.  The client builds the image that will
eventually lay down on tape back to the media server who's bptm process
basically write the data down to tape.

So if you want to avoid network backups for your larger clients then you
will need a Media Server license(s) (either SAN Media or Standard)

David A. Chapa * ADIC * 720.249.5836 * 720.272.8452 cell *
david.chapa AT adic DOT com

HIGH PERFORMANCE, SCALABLE, RELIABLE - http://www.adic.com/gopathlightvx