Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-20 19:07:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:07:38 -0600
First off its important to understand the differences between all of the
components of your Netbackup infrastructure.

There are three main components:

Master Server
Media Server
Client

You can have a Master/Media Server on the same box (typical
installation), but there is a difference between the two.  Master ONLY
servers provide the management and organization of the policies, clients
and storage units.  It usually is the volDB host as well (best practice)

Media Servers are defined as NetBackup servers that manage physical
devices and are directed by the Master server as to which clients it
will back up.

A SAN Media server backs up itself ONLY.

Sometimes there can be a communication breakdown between talking about
clients/servers.

Check out the Troubleshooting Guide, Appendix A (NBU manuals 4.5 and
earlier), this provides an excellent functional overview of the
Netbackup architecture and should help you out.

David A. Chapa * ADIC * 720.249.5836 * 720.272.8452 cell *
david.chapa AT adic DOT com

HIGH PERFORMANCE, SCALABLE, RELIABLE - http://www.adic.com/gopathlightvx