Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Minimising nightly tape count

2004-06-21 00:05:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Minimising nightly tape count
From: rgerlach AT acmi.net DOT au (Roland Gerlach)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:05:23 +1000
We remove the weekly and monthly tapes from our library to off-site storage.
I'm trying to reduce the number of tapes sent off-site and I've noticed that
the tapes always contain backups from a single media server - therefore the
*minimum* number of tape used in a single backup window would be the same as
the number of media server.

Consider the following setup:  Two share tape drives. Three media server: A, B,
C.  Media server A also backups X, Y, Z across the network.

The minimum number of tapes that could be used by this configuration would be:
Tape 1 - backup A, backup X, backup Y, backup Z
Tape 2 - backup B
Tape 3 - backup C

What I normally see is that media server A's backup will run at the same time
as one of the network backups resulting in the use of an extra tape:
Tape 1 - backup A, backup Y, backup Z
Tape 2 - backup X
Tape 3 - backup B
Tape 4 - backup C

Is there a way that I can reduce the number of tapes used in a backup window?
E.g. restrict the number of simultaneous backup jobs performed by a media
server.

I hope I've made my question clear.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Roland.
--
Tell me and I'll forget, show me and I may remember,
involve me and I'll understand -- Chinese proverb.

This communication contains information which is confidential and the copyright
of the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail please notify the sender
immediately and delete it from your system.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may
not be the views of the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, unless
specifically stated.