Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-20 10:54:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: nelcaps AT ameritech DOT net (Nelson T. Caparroso)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:54:41 -0400
Let's make this Question Simple:

I have Server A, it is a master/media server (Enterprise), it has a
library connected to it whose drives are also available via SAN to
server B-Z.  Server B-Z currently are backed up via the Network as
simple NBU Clients

We've  added Shared Drives Key (SSO Enable) to Server A.

Now my Questions:

Do we need to install  / add "something" to our existing NBU Clients
(Server B-Z)  so they can request mounts on Server A so they can backup
locally? I don't want to have any other media server outside of Server
A...  The idea is using SSO and our SAN, clients can request mounts on
shaerd drives controlled from the master/media and data is backed up
locally.

I am reposting this Q becuase I seem to be hearing/reading.. that I need
Media Manager (eitther flavour) installed on my clients that will now
backup data using SSO..