Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?

2004-06-19 19:13:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Do I Need Media Manager to be Installed on Clients I will be Backing up Using SSO ?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:13:10 -0500
--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

* Nelson T. Caparroso <nelcaps AT ameritech DOT net> [2004-06-18 23:40]:
>=20
> So in my current environment, do I really need to have another Media=20
> Server configuration outisde of my existing Master/Media so I can share=
=20
> drives and backup SSO-way my other clients that have access to the=20
> drives/Library?
>=20
> Ms. Carr to date is the 2nd Veritas Person saying that I need to have=20
> media manager on each client that I will be backing up SSO -way .

It is my understanding that the only servers that can utilize drives
under SSO are the Master server and Media servers. A Media server can
take several forms, though. You have a full media server, a SAN media
server (which is just a cost-break version of a normal Media server).
The SAN Media server is designed to back up ONLY the client the software
is installed on, while a normal Media server can back up ANY client on
the network.=20

I am not aware of any way in NetBackup for a client to share drives
through SSO alone. It sounds like what you want is the SAN Media server
option. I would make sure, however, of what level of control you have
over the client in question. When you start making production servers
also act as media servers, you run the risk of creating problems with
maintenance windows and such. If you are having a problem with
NetBackup, you may not be able to resolve it without rebooting the media
servers, which would now include a production server.

If there is any way to keep NetBackup separate, I strongly recommend
trying it first.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com