Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup

2002-01-24 10:05:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:05:33 +0100
I can't resist.  I must play too :)

1. A client / server security model based on hostname / IP address
resolution.   No sane sysadmin still uses rlogin and rsh,
but NBU still uses essentially same authentication scheme.  This is
vulnerable to all sorts of network attacks and if the backup
server itself is compromised, NetBackup itself can be used to compromise
any of its clients.

2. Inconsistent usage of command-line flags and switches plus a lack of
documentation on many commands.

3. Restore jobs don't report the CLIENT_NAME from bp.conf (or equivalent)
but instead use the client's hostname. (Has this been fixed in 3.4.1?)

4. Job data can only be retained for 30 days when some months have 31.  Job
information needs to be archived outside of NetBackup to
track success / failure for  longer periods.

5. Configuration data is spread out all over the place! (bp.conf, vm.conf,
job.conf, the windows registry, version files) and everying is in a different
location.  (Can't we have a single consistent configuration file format
like Apache?)

6. Duplications with bpduplicate don't show up in the job monitor and can
only be monitored by logfile.

7. NBU doesn't allow more than 2 copies of a backup image!  If I stage to
disk and want two copies on tape,  I can't make each copy from disk
to tape.  Instead, I have to make the 1st copy to tape from disk, then
expire the copy on disk, then copy the 1st from tape to tape.

8. Pre and post backup commands, as well as include / exclude lists, are
defined on the client.  They should be centrally manageable from the
server.  The client should be a dumb stub with the server telling it what
and what not to do.

9. The interface to extended debugging information needs to be better than
creating subdirectories and looking at filenames with a text editor.
There should be a facility to view all errors from a single console in
realtime when working on a problem.

10. With all its faults, NetBackup is still one of the best products out
there.  Although it is an unruly beast, it is usually possible to beat it into
submission easier than with other products.  Hopefully Veritas will listen
to us :)

Regards,

--PLB