Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Schedule specific file exclusions

2000-12-13 13:51:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Schedule specific file exclusions
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:51:25 -0800 (PST)
John:
I took Mike's advice, but instead of looking at Enduser
GUI, I went right to the registry entry.  There should
be no space between the CLASS: and the classname.

example:

In my reg entry that was failing I had the following

CLASS: LVL_Server

the proper representation should have been

CLASS:LVL_Server

I made this change and the exclude list now functions
properly.

Thanks Mike for the heads up.

David Chapa

Quoting John_Wang AT enron DOT net:

> Hello David
>
> Same thing here,  when I establish a class and
schedule exclude list to
> exclude
> all and then a like class and schedule include list
to include the *.nsf
> files
> back, I get everything backed up anyway.   I think
it's my usage of the
> syntax
> ":\" to represent all local drives which would be the
syntax in the Class
> file
> specification.   On the assumption that they are
inconsistent with their
> syntax
> use, I'm changing my exclude lists to be "c:\" "d:\"
and "e:\" and seeing
> if
> it's any better tonight.
>
> Another interesting point, if I run a full backup of
only specific included
> files and then subsequently run a differential of all
files except those
> same
> files, I get almost nothing in the differential.   So
it would seem that
> the
> various incrementals are disrespective of the
coverage.

--------------------|

>   |       To:
mtraves.news AT home DOT com

>   |       cc:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu,
(bcc: John           |
>   |       Wang/Contractor/Enron
Communications)                           |
>   |       Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu] Schedule
specific file exclusions |
--------------------|

> Interestingly enough I have created the exclude list
from both the server
> and
> the client with no success.  Perhaps I'll remove
everything from the
> client's
> GUI and try it again.
>
> I have opened a case for this, hopefully the support
engineer will give me
> as
> much or more information as you have.
>
> thank you
>
> david

configuring exclude lists
> for specific Classes and Schedules (as opposed to the
client) using the NT
> Admin Client's "Configure NetBackup" screen, a
*space* is added in front of
> the Class name.  This space isn't viewable from the
GUI, but as it no
> longer
> matches the class name you've configured, it doesn't
get processed.

> The trick is to configure exclude lists from the
*Client's* GUI, not the
> Admin GUI.  You can remove the space for the Class
name you created
> previously here, or add an exclude list for a class
properly.  Note, that
> the Client GUI's way of moving between multiple
exclude lists is rather
> cumbersome and unintuitive (ie, hit add first, then
click previous a few
> times to see your existing exclude lists).
>

> Michael Traves

GUI.  When you open it
> up
> > you will see the Exclude tab, Include tab, Servers,
etc.

that directory are
get backed up?

> > No they will not get backed up (at least they
shouldn't, I'm fighting an
> NT
> > 3.4 exclude problem right now as a matter of fact).
> >
> > For instance, one of my clients has a HUGE
directory on one of their data
> > servers, it is so large that we have to 'chunk' it
up into multiple
> streams
> > (NEW_STREAM, etc.). That works just fine, however,
when the Normal class
> > does the "regular" backups, it is supposed to
exclude that HUGE
> directory.
> > Unfortunately for me and my client it isn't working
that way, which is a