Networker

[Networker] Automating save set list?

2013-09-10 14:21:18
Subject: [Networker] Automating save set list?
From: George Sinclair - NOAA Federal <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:19:57 -0400
Let's say you'll have a number of file systems like /disk/user1, /disk/user2, etc. You never know when a new one might get created. Is there a way to have these automatically get added to the backups, aside from writing some script that would update the NSR client resource?

Using 'All' would certainly work, but then I'd need a directive to skip everything that I don't want backed up, and I might like to have several NSR client resources for a given client wherein each is in a separate group, schedule, etc. Some use different pools. Seems like a pain to use 'All', and I think it can only be used with one of the resources for that client? Alternatively, writing some script to run on the client and look for any file system matching that naming convention, that hasn't been backed up yet, and then running the backups (save -t) from the client seems like a pain as well. Would be nice if there was some kind of wild card setting?

How difficult is it to write a script to automatically update the NSR client resource? I assume this would need to run from the client as the server wouldn't know about any new file systems, not unless you had one resource that listed 'All', and the group was disabled, and you ran a probe on that from the server to compare with the current "known" list. That would be slow, however.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair