Networker

Re: [Networker] Automating save set list?

2013-09-13 19:28:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Automating save set list?
From: George Sinclair - NOAA Federal <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:23:28 -0400
On 2013-09-13 18:26, bingo wrote:
George,

of course NW will not know about new file systems with a specific save set list.
However, adding a new volume is a very rare process which i think you can
manage easily.

I think I'm being thrown off by the term 'volume'. If you're referring to a new file system, well then, yes, those aren't added too frequently. Otherwise, tape volumes are added every week. File type devices, no.

If you do not get informed about such change, then there is something wrong
within your organization:

Yes, I'll know about new file systems, and it's not onerous to add them to the appropriate NSR client resource. The problem is that I may not want to use 'All' for certain clients, e.g. one that might have one or more very large temporary file system(s) that we don't want to back up but otherwise would be if 'All' was used (assuming you didn't have a directive in place or update the existing one). In that case, enumerating the desired file systems on a case by case basis gets around that. But in a situation where you do want to back up everything on a given machine, but you'd prefer instead to break the backups down into multiple NSR client resources and not have to manage a directive that instructs one of them to back up everything (All) but the following and then have to make sure everything else is listed in one of the other resources -- well, that's a case where I was curious if there was a way to have any new file systems, not already enumerated in any of the client's NSR client resources, get added to a specific resource that would be dedicated for that by using a script to automate the editing of the appropriate nsradmin resource. I thought someone had mentioned a while back that they'd written such a script to automate the updating of the NSR client resources, but I don't recall what was being updated and/or under what circumstances the script was used or invoked. So I guess that's what I was asking about. How tricky is that, and is it not recommended to have scripts that do that sort of thing? Manual updating isn't a problem, but I was just curious.

   - the responsible admin does not involve you (wrong workflow)
   - additionally he obviously does not verify whether the new data is backed
up at all (bad monitoring)
All newly added save sets are always checked to ensure that they were properly backed up.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or
unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -