Networker

Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)

2013-03-19 11:40:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:32:55 +0200
On Tuesday 19 March 2013 11:17:58 Michael Leone wrote:
> > He will use the clone iff you mark the original CFI savesets suspect
> > before you start the CFI recovery.
>
> So I have to mark hundreds and hundreds of savesets suspect? Will marking
> the entire volume as suspect do the same?

You only mark the ones you need to recover as suspect. Why would you mark the
others?
And as far as I can tell there is no "mark volume as suspect" in one command.
Of course on a Linux/UNIX the follwoing should work:

for i in `mminfo -q volume=<VOLNAME> -r ssid,cloneid -xc/ | grep -v ssid`
do
        nsrmm -y -o suspect -S $i
done

> And what happens when I don't
> need my copy anymore, or something happens to it - I have to re-mark all
> those saveset IDs as not suspect (would that be "valid"?) before I can use
> the offsite tape again?

If you need to use the original again after a recover (probablility is really
QUITE small) you have to unmark them again.

> (and you find that easier and makes more sense than the other way?)

Yes. As Carsten pointed out there is really nothing like a 1-1 copy of a
streaming tape anyway and the risk of running into an end of tape when
copying the tape is quite real.

Additionally if you upgrade to 8.x you will not have to do anything else
than pop in the clone tape and do the recover.

Think you are stuck a bit in your thoughts at the moment ;-)

Best
Dag