Networker

Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)

2013-03-19 12:14:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:06:45 +0200
On Tuesday 19 March 2013 11:37:35 Michael Leone wrote:

> > > So I have to mark hundreds and hundreds of savesets suspect? Will
> marking
> > > the entire volume as suspect do the same?
> >
> > You only mark the ones you need to recover as suspect. Why would you
> > mark the others?
>
> Because I don't know ahead of time which savesets they would be, of
> course. If I knew, I wouldn't need to do this whole procedure. :-)

Should be fairly easy to find the needed SSID:s with mminfo?

And I checked the man page for nsrmm and you can possibly mark the whole
volume as suspect too. (And nonsuspect too )

> > > And what happens when I don't
> > > need my copy anymore, or something happens to it - I have to re-mark
> all
> > > those saveset IDs as not suspect (would that be "valid"?) before I can
> use
> > > the offsite tape again?
> >
> > If you need to use the original again after a recover (probablility is
> really
> > QUITE small) you have to unmark them again.
>
> What I want to do is delete the clone, and re-mark the original as the one
> to use, as the original is supposed to be the master. But that would mean
> re-marking each of the savesets on that original tape as not suspect, so
> that if I did need them again in future, I could (without having to
> remember which savesets have been marked and which haven't.

If you delete the clone and there are no other copies of the savesets even
you old Networker will automatically accept the original, even marked suspect.

Best
Dag