Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrclone advice needed

2013-03-18 11:46:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrclone advice needed
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:46:40 +0200
On Monday 18 March 2013 11:38:53 Michael Leone wrote:
> > As the target for a clone needs to be a clone type pool there is no
> > way you can clone
> > to the same pool. The way to do it is to create a BootstrapClone
> > pool, label the target tape into
> > that and do:
> >
> > nsrclone -b "BootstrapClone" <source volume>
>
> AH, I see. Good point, thank you.
>
> So, supposing I need to do a "nsrck -L7" in the future, will I be able to
> use this tape to read the CFI from? (that's what I want to happen. I don't
> want to have to recall the original from offsite, in order to do a "nsrck
> -L7").
>
> Or will the "nsrck -L7" look *only* for the original source volume?
>
> I want to have a copy here, because I will probably need it frequently in
> the near future, but I don't want to have to recall it from offsite; do my
> "nsrck -L7"; determine what volumes I further need; then have to do a 2nd
> recall of the actual data volumes. But I want a copy offsite, for safety's
> sake.
>
> Will doing this allow me to do what I want to do?

It will if your Networker is new enough.
V8.x now automatically prefers anything
that is mounted or even nearline and have the right saveset. The pool doesn't
matter at all.
If you are running an older version you will have to mark the original saveset
instance
as suspect to force networker to prefer (and allow) that.

Best
Dag