Networker

Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)

2013-03-19 11:45:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to make a duplicate of a tape (was: nsrclone advice needed)
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:37:35 -0400
> On Tuesday 19 March 2013 11:17:58 Michael Leone wrote:
> > > He will use the clone iff you mark the original CFI savesets suspect
> > > before you start the CFI recovery.
> >
> > So I have to mark hundreds and hundreds of savesets suspect? Will
marking
> > the entire volume as suspect do the same?
>
> You only mark the ones you need to recover as suspect. Why would you
> mark the others?

Because I don't know ahead of time which savesets they would be, of
course. If I knew, I wouldn't need to do this whole procedure. :-)

> > And what happens when I don't
> > need my copy anymore, or something happens to it - I have to re-mark
all
> > those saveset IDs as not suspect (would that be "valid"?) before I can
use
> > the offsite tape again?
>
> If you need to use the original again after a recover (probablility is
really
> QUITE small) you have to unmark them again.

What I want to do is delete the clone, and re-mark the original as the one
to use, as the original is supposed to be the master. But that would mean
re-marking each of the savesets on that original tape as not suspect, so
that if I did need them again in future, I could (without having to
remember which savesets have been marked and which haven't.