Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.2.2->7.4 upgrade. new server, same peripherals

2008-10-01 18:33:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.2.2->7.4 upgrade. new server, same peripherals
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:31:06 +0100
rick pim wrote:

in broad strokes i've done this process before, as far back as version
4.x this time, though, my reading has left me, like other folks who've
posted recently, um, "apprehensive". i have no particular worry about
just fighting with it, but since this is the production system,
backups will be suspended while i fiddle.

I don't quite understand why you are so apprehensive about this upgrade. There have been some upgrades in the past where you would have been wise to worry, but this is not one IMO.

There are a number of architectural changes but only two issues that would concern me about this jump.

Firstly nwadmin is gone after 7.2.x. and NMC is introduced. If you are wise you will have already familiarised yourself with NMC on your 7.2.x server.

Secondly be aware that you must upgrade the storage nodes at the same time as the server. a 7.2.x storage node will not work with a 7.3.x or 7.4.x server.

I have found 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 to be pretty stable, although some 7.3.x versions should be avoided. 7.4.3 is too new for me to comment on yet, although I have installed it on a new system (not yet in production).