Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.2.2->7.4 upgrade. new server, same peripherals

2008-10-01 18:48:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.2.2->7.4 upgrade. new server, same peripherals
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 08:45:22 +1000
On 02/10/2008, at 08:31 , Davina Treiber wrote:

rick pim wrote:

in broad strokes i've done this process before, as far back as version 4.x this time, though, my reading has left me, like other folks who've
posted recently, um, "apprehensive". i have no particular worry about
just fighting with it, but since this is the production system,
backups will be suspended while i fiddle.

I don't quite understand why you are so apprehensive about this upgrade. There have been some upgrades in the past where you would have been wise to worry, but this is not one IMO.

I agree - in particular I've found 7.4.2 to be a pretty stable release, all things considered. The other factor is - shouldn't you be more concerned about remaining on an unsupported version of the product? (I.e., 7.2.x)

There are a number of architectural changes but only two issues that would concern me about this jump.

Firstly nwadmin is gone after 7.2.x. and NMC is introduced. If you are wise you will have already familiarised yourself with NMC on your 7.2.x server.

Agreed, going from nwadmin to NMC can be a bit of a hairy experience; however, particularly NMC for 7.4.x is a lot better than that which comes with 7.3.x.

Probably the most important thing to do with a 7.[<3].x -> 7.[>=3].x update is to make sure you have a complete bootstrap/mm backup before you proceed; the upgrade makes unalterable changes to the media database, so if for some reason you _do_ have to revert while something is sorted out, you need to be able to revert to a 7.2.x mm.

I have found 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 to be pretty stable, although some 7.3.x versions should be avoided. 7.4.3 is too new for me to comment on yet, although I have installed it on a new system (not yet in production).

7.4.3 seems to contain a lot of good fixes; lamentably but understandably it's also missing some patches that were issued late in the game for 7.4.2, but I'm sure EMC engineering will hurry up and get those re-issued. (Which reminds me, it's time to go chat to support again about that...)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out September 26 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com