Networker

Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable

2008-10-01 18:26:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:23:36 +0100
Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Determining when a volume becomes recylable,...:

That's only true if there are no savesets that depend on this saveset.
Are you certain that's the case?

I believe so ... can't think what could depend on this particular saveset.
How can I determine that?

Very carefully.  ;-)

I'm not aware of any magic attribute that you can supply in an mminfo
query to easily determine all the savesets that depend on a particular
saveset (now watch, Davina or Darren will point out something obvious that
I'm not thinking of...).  There's nothing like

    mminfo -q 'depends_on=111223344' -r 'ssid,savetime,level'

What you have to do is look at the level of the backup and the level
of any subsequent backups and do the "what depends on this" calculations
yourself (or via a script).

I've never bothered to write a script to do this kind of thing, but I
don't think it would be terribly difficult.

I think you're right that there's no magic query for this, but at the same time it's not too difficult to find the dependencies. For example, if you have a save set called /var for a client called baldrick that you think should have expired, simply run a query on all instances of that save set in chronological order. I would run something like:

mminfo -ot -q "name=/var,client=baldrick" -r savetime,level,volume

Work your way back through the save sets and see what depends on earlier save sets. If you have a full save set that is older than your retention period, with incrementals in between, these will all need to stay valid until the next oldest full reaches the retention period.

Sometimes the cause of problems like this could be a failed full backup somewhere in the cycle, causing earlier backups to hang on longer in order to correctly preserve the point-in-time recovery ability that NetWorker does so well. Sometimes it is just a poor understanding of how this works. It worries me when I hear of people manually recycling tapes, or setting them to recyclable, they are shortening the recoverability of their data, sometimes much more than they realise.