Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-29 09:01:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:56:12 -0500
Hello,
I have concerns about your implementation, not having enough capacity to
hold  7-10 days worth of backups prevents onsite recovery initiative and
in my opinion, why go the expensive route of VTL and the added complexity
if you are not going to use most of it's benefits ?
If your VTL is capable of compression and dedupe, you should be able to
hold lot more data.
As far as VTL being  parallel or back ( Transparent ) to Networker , i
prefer the networker server to do the cloning vs VTL , this way you will
have more choices and control over the processes.
A simple nsrclone script that lists saveset id and then performing clones
should be the direction you need to explore, i am not a big fan of
automatic cloning, also careful, planing of your pools, device allocations
and balancing workload  should be considered to avoid hotsopts in backup
environment, ensuring no cloning is happening over the network. ( i have
seen this happen when read tape for clone is mounted on backup server
while cloning ( writes) are  happening on Storage node and the data moved
over the network) This can be avoided with some careful configuration of
your storagenodes and cloning environmental.
HTH

anandhg <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
08/29/2008 03:13 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Query in Staging from adv_file

We have recently got a VTL, HP VLS 12000, connected to HP EVA 4400 with
9TB of usable capacity. I feel one disadvantage in VTL for our case. We
are planing to use a VTL only as a caching device so as to act like an
adv_file device. It is because our daily backup is 30TB and so we will
move only few of the daily backups to VTL to fill only 50% of the VTL
capacity.

I cannot have a staging policy for VTL devices. I have to move the
savesets manually from the VTL to physical tape. What will be the best
practice of moving the data from VTL to PTL. Is it Nwr has to do the
cloning/staging part or some VTLs has the feature of moving the data from
the virtual tape to physical tape. But in this case the VTL gateway will
sit infront of the PTL and VTL.  Nwr will only see the VTL gateway as one
library.

|This was sent by anandhg AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

type