Networker

[Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-29 04:18:22
Subject: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: anandhg <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:13:33 -0400
We have recently got a VTL, HP VLS 12000, connected to HP EVA 4400 with 9TB of
usable capacity. I feel one disadvantage in VTL for our case. We are planing to
use a VTL only as a caching device so as to act like an adv_file device. It is
because our daily backup is 30TB and so we will move only few of the daily
backups to VTL to fill only 50% of the VTL capacity.

I cannot have a staging policy for VTL devices. I have to move the savesets
manually from the VTL to physical tape. What will be the best practice of
moving the data from VTL to PTL. Is it Nwr has to do the cloning/staging part
or some VTLs has the feature of moving the data from the virtual tape to
physical tape. But in this case the VTL gateway will sit infront of the PTL and
VTL.  Nwr will only see the VTL gateway as one library.