Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file, X4500 experiences

2008-08-21 11:34:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file, X4500 experiences
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:30:19 +0200
Let me share some of my experiences regarding the X4500 performance as a storagenode with you.

We have recently made a benchmark with the following configuration:
- 8 NW clients with Sol.10, each connected with 1 GbE to a Cisco network switch - X4500 Sol.10 with 48x1TB disks as storagenode, with 6 RAIDZ pools (2 disks for OS, 4 spares and 6 x (6+1) RAIDZ pools)
- each RAIDZ pool connected as AFTD, total netto usable 36TB out of 48
- Sun 10 GbE network card connected to the Cisco switch
- 2 dual-channel 4GbE FC HBAs connected to 4 LTO4 drives in a library

We tested the throughput in different B2D and B2D2T scenarios with the following main results: - Filesystem backups from one client to one AFTD up to 75 MB/s (1GbE limited)
- 4 clients to one RAIDZ pool up to 200 MB/s
- 8 clients to all 6 RAIDZ pools up to 400 MB/s
- staging data from one RAIDZ pool to one tapedrive up to 140 MB/s (LTO4 compressed limit here)
- staging data from 4 RAIDZ pool to all tapedrives about 400 MB/s
- mixed B2D and D2T from all pools around 400MB/s together (not recommended as you can not really balance the R/W ratio)
- less than 50% CPU usage in all cases

As you can see, the practical performance you can get is about 400 MB/s sustained either read or write to the disks, assumed you can deliver the data from the clients or consumed from the tapedrives. If only using the X4500 onboard 4 x 1 GbE interfaces as a trunk, don´t expect more than 300 MB/s when doing backups.

Hope this helps a bit when setting expectations.

regards  -attila

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com