Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-20 19:48:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:34:39 -0400
On Aug 20, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

I'm just a subscriber with an opinion, though, and you know what
opinions are like.  ;-)  Ultimately, it's up to Temple and Stan to
determine how broad the scope is for the list.

I guess that's my queue to chime in on this thread. I agree with you and Curtis. In fact, my employer recently engaged some people at GlassHouse to help us plan for our upcoming primary storage and backup needs. We are still digesting all the information their consultants gave us in their report (all 100+ pages of it).

One of their recommendations was that we grow our NetWorker environment by deploying a VTL. This was a recommendation that I didn't feel much enthusiasm for until this topic was raised here. I didn't quite grasp the reasoning behind us going with a VTL, as apposed to a large ADVFS, until Curtis responded to my question yesterday (Tuesday). I am still not sure which is the best approach for our needs here, but I am now not ruling out a VTL. As a result, I am glad this thread was started and I have not seen anything that anyone said that gives me pause for concern.

Getting back to the subject at hand, one thing confuses me about using an ADVFS. We have a Sun X4500 with Solaris 10 as a storage node that's fibre channeled into a large tape library that's shared by our NetWorker server. I routinely see speeds writing to that device of around 70-90MB/s but usually when it dumps to Sony S-AIT1 tape, the tape's throughput hovers around 45MB/s. While a staging process is in progress, no data can be recovered from the device. Our X4500 has a 1Gige line going into it, as does our NetWorker server.

I have two questions to follow up on what was said earlier. Is 45MB/s reasonable to write to tape and am I wrong in assuming that one can never recover data from an ADVFS while its busy staging data to tape, or have I misconfigured this set-up?