Networker

Re: [Networker] How to do a directed recover from an entire tape volume to somewhere else

2008-03-26 18:13:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to do a directed recover from an entire tape volume to somewhere else
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:01:19 +0000
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 04:01:09PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > On unix, you could use scanner, piped into uasm to restore all the files
> > locally on the backup server.  I don't know if that's possible on
> > windows or not.
>
> Scanner? hmm ... the tape is in the media database (I only created the
> thing this morning). I thought scanner was for finding out what was on a
> tape that is not in the media database?

Among other things, yes.  But the scanner man page shows other usages.
In particular, you can use it to read directly from a tape, and pipe the
output into the local filesystem.  So you're not really doing a
"recover" at all.  It's just spewing data from the tape into a
filesystem.

# scanner /dev/rmt/xxx -x uasm -rv -m/=/a

(recover all data from the tape in /dev/rmt/xxx, and rename it so that
everything is stored under /a).

Again, I've *never* tried that on windows and really don't know how the
name redirection works there.

> In fact, I can see the list of SSIDs I would need. I was looking at the
> "recover" command line, and it says (I think) that I can feed it a file
> full of SSIDs I want recovered, one per line. Perhaps that would help?

I don't know about one per line.  I think you just pass them in on the
command line with -S (but there may be another format that I'm not
seeing).  With no path name given, this will recover all files in the
specified saveset(s).

Until you mentioned it, I thought recover could only do one saveset at a
time, but that might work well.