Networker

Re: [Networker] How to do a directed recover from an entire tape volume to somewhere else SOLVED

2008-03-31 08:18:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to do a directed recover from an entire tape volume to somewhere else SOLVED
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:14:56 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/28/2008 04:54:00 PM:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 02:41:53PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > Here's what I did (on Win2003) - exported the list of ssids to a file,
and
> > parsed the contents in a shell loop, feeding 1 ssid at a time to the
> > recover program, and told it to put the recovered files into the W:
drive:

> > ===================
> > mminfo -avot -q volume=891995 -r ssid >SpecialTape-SSIDs.txt
> > FOR /F %%a IN (SpecialTape-SSIDs.txt) DO recover -a -v -s admnbck001
-d
> > W:\ -S %%a
> > )
>
> That's not feeding ssids to "the recover program", it's running 'n'
> different recovers, one for each ssid.
>
> I thought the whole point was that you *didn't* want to run separate
> recovers for some reason.

I didn't want to manually run separate recovers, by typing in the
parameters 12 times. However, other things came up, and this ended up
being fast enough (since I only had to type in one script name, to get it
all done).

To do one command, I would have had to do "recover -S ssid#1 -S ssid#2"
etc. That would have been ideal, but I didn't have enough time to iron
that out (without typing in all those ssids). Being severely
short-staffed, I had to move onto other things. So this let me type just
one command, and if it was slower than one recover command with 12 ssids
passed to it as one block of parameters, it was still Good Enough.