Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-23 12:01:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: rrevuru AT GMAIL DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:59:22 -0500
On 3/23/06, Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote:

> If you want to enable a full tape that's marked for manual recycling
> to be relabled and writable, you need to mark it as recyclable. You
> did not say which NetWorker version you're using. Windows and Unix
> NetWorker have different GUIs so the specific way to mark a volume as
> recyclable depends on which OS platform you are using for your
> NetWorker server.
>
> I use NetWorker on Solaris (i.e., Sun's Unix) so I am not the best
> person to respond to NetWorker server questions in a Windows
> environment. If you're running NetWorker in any kind of a Unix
> environment, you can use the NetWorker Administrator GUI to mark a
> manually recyclable tape as recyclable OR you can do it via the
> command line with the nsrjb command and the "-o" option. You can also
> remove the tape from the media database, but that's not the best
> option because you lose information about it such as how many times
> it was labeled.
>
> Feel free to ask any further questions you may have; that's the
> purpose of this list! There's no need to apologize. Everyone on this
> list had to learn NetWorker somewhere!

I am using Networker 7.2 Windows Version. Here is what i have

As i said i have 8-tape Auto-Loader. Of that i have 6 slots filled with 6
tapes.
2 of those tapes are 200 GB/ and 4 of them are 100GB uncompressed.

Right now this what is shows in the volumes tab
          Written     Used     expiration date

tape1 : 78GB     full       03/31/2006
tape2:  49GB     full       03/24/2006
tape3:  34GB     full      10/26/2006
tape4:  64GB     full       03/31/2006
tape5  110GB    full       manual
tape6  130GB    full       manual

Following are the questions

1. How come the "Used=Full" when it is not using the total capacity of the
tape
2. How come tape 1 can save upto 78GB and says it is full, tape2 can save
upto 49GB says it full.
3. How can make all those tapes ready to overwrite, and tell networker to
re-use it.

Guys:
When you manual recycle, does it manaul delete everything off the tape?

I did see some options of manual recyling under the following menu from the
GUI

Devices:
   :-> Tape:
        :->Operations