Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-23 11:30:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:28:44 -0800
>  Stan: I thought only volumes can be set to "recyclable" but not the "save
> sets". From the GUI when i click on the volumes, and "show savesets" it
> doesnt have any information on the expiration date, so is "Indexes" doesnt
> have any expiration date.

Actually, no.  Each saveset has a state of 'browseable', 'recoverable',
or 'expired'

When every saveset on a volume is 'expired', then the volume itself
becomes expired (recyclable).

In fact, if you mark a volume a recyclable, what networker does is to
expire every saveset on the volume.  Sometimes this isn't what you want!

> My Basic question was the browse and retention policy and expiration date is
> is specific to "Volumes" only or they are "Saveset/Index" specific.

They are client instance specific, and apply to individual savesets.