Networker

Re: [Networker] sg driver versus Adaptec?

2004-01-12 20:21:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] sg driver versus Adaptec?
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:21:41 -0800
On January 12, 2004 at 18:30, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] sg driver versus Adaptec?, George Sinclair...:
>
> >Well, lsmod does show the aic7xxx module and looking under
> >/proc/scsi/aix7xxx, I see files named 0 through 6.
>
> Those are SCSI bus #s.  That means that you have enough AIC controllers in
> your server so that you are presenting 7 buses (scsi0 through scsi6) to
> the OS via your Adaptec cards.  You can do
>
>         cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> to see what devices are on each bus.  It's sort of a poor-man's "inquire".

Actually, the inquire provided by NetWorker does almost exactly that.
Linux had no way to query for the number of scsi buses from user space at
the time, and delivering a kernel module is nearly impossible for
linux (mod_versions is a curse).  So, it actually walks the /proc/scsi
file system looking for adapters.

Byron