Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Regression testing - let's get more involved

2017-05-11 09:24:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Regression testing - let's get more involved
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Andrea Venturoli <ml AT netfence DOT it>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 15:23:34 +0200
Hello,

See below ...

On 05/11/2017 11:36 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 05/10/17 14:04, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>> After thinking about this some more, it seems to me that it is a
>> waste of your time to run Bacula in a jail.  You are going to have
>> nothing but problems.  Running regression tests with Bacula is
>> designed to confine itself to the regress directory (and perhaps
>> tmp), and the probability of having a security problem of any kind
>> while running regression tests is essentially zero.   Sorry, but I
>> would not even try running Bacula regression tests in a jail.
>
> Unfortunately, recent policies do not allow me to try this in base of
> a production server and that's what I have now.
> If doing this in a jail won't work, I'll have to wait until I have a
> spare machine available and that will be a one-time shot anyway (while
> I hoped to leave the jail running with crons).

I did not want to imply that a jail will not work, just that it seems to
be difficult.

> If that's not too much a waste of your time, I'd be curious to know
> why a jail won't do.

I just feel uneasy about you possibly wasting your time.

You may be able to make a jail work, but my experience with them is that
it is easy to run into problems.  Bacula regression scripts were not
designed to run in a jail.  That doesn't mean that they will not work in
a jail, but the work to get them working probably does not justify the
benefit.

Best regards,
Kern